We´re on the hunt for greatness. We´re searching for soul, and we´re striving for style. A place that´s different and uniquely comfortable – where the ‘any person´ can sink into with ease. Whether it be for some midday stimulation, an after-work cocktail with colleagues, or some Friday night debauchery with friends. Maybe it´s great for a date, or perfect for that next company party. The expats.cz Events Team is on the prowl.
Last Thursday night, the expats.cz team ventured into Old Town for some pre-dinner drinks and found Café Bar Palírna, a small, cozy pub off of Dlouhá Street. Designed by Igor Ševčik, this distillery-themed bar has a customized, artistic quality. Everywhere were playful reminders of alcohol – such as brass-sculpted bottles; wall paintings of stills surrounded by intricate wooden wall-hangings; and hand-crafted tables and chairs shaped like bottles. All was very nice, however, lacked the actual comfort we were seeking as, despite the cushions, the furniture was hard and angular.
We were the only customers at 6pm but soon were joined by 2 other patrons.
Slowly, a few more popped in, but if privacy is what you´re seeking on a Thursday after work, and you have a resistance to uncomfortable seating, this place suits.
The washrooms were reasonably clean, but upon first use, the toilet gave out, and the distraught barman whispered sweet profanity.
The unfriendly ‘don´t-break-my-toilet´ expression gradually changed and he proudly had a lot to say about the place. As a Slovak himself (who spoke some English), he gave credit to the good collection of specialty spirits they served, distilled from various fruit (plum, pear, raspberry, blueberry, etc.) from both Slovakia and Czech Republic. The ‘Tatratea 52%´ slivovice (plum brandy) was the best I´ve ever tried, and had a lingering buttery flavor – which masked the piercing sting that only slivo can give you.
Presentation of other drinks was great, such as the Mojito or the hot chocolate, but fell short of our expectations.
Below, we have compiled a list of criterion from which we will base our reviews of any bar, and from this we will give the bar an overall rating out of 5.
· Smoking Policy – Smoking;
· Location– Rámová 3, close to Dlouhá Třída, bus 133, trams 8, 24;
· The Crowd – Friends (young and old), couples, small parties;
· Atmosphere – Private and low-lit, cozy with an artistic and modern feel;
· Attire – Anything goes;
· Price Range – Reasonably priced. Beer 35 Kč .4l (Pilsner); Wine 44 Kč /2 dcl; cocktails 85-105 Kč; spirits average 50-60 Kč; poor selection of food, only a few items;
· Entrance Fees – None. 5pm-11pm (except Sundays);
· Size – Main floor, seating 30-40 people;
· Music Policy – Radio, pop rock;
· Service – Professional;
· Porcelain Check – Clean, acceptable;
· Why Would You Go – Great spot for a pre- or post-dinner drink with friends with an excellent selection of spirits;
Overall, Café Bar Palírna is a nice private venue for a small group of friends looking for a quick stop-off for some great spirits or coffee, but lacks in its offering of snacks, comfort, quality of cocktails, and friendliness of staff.
Café Bar Palírna
Rámová 3, Old Town, Prague1
View Expats.cz Bar Reviews in a larger map