We´re on the hunt for greatness. We´re searching for soul, and we´re striving for style. A place that´s different and uniquely comfortable – where the everyman can sink into with ease. Whether it be for some midday stimulation, an after-work cocktail with colleagues, or Friday night debauchery with friends. Maybe it´s great for a date, or perfect for that next company party. The expats.cz Events Team is on the prowl.
Not that it hasn´t been done before on various sites that are devoted to such pursuits – we humbly give praise. But we thought that since we´re out there quite a bit anyway, we might as well write about it. So, perhaps appropriately hasty, our thirsty and overworked crew left our Karlín office this Monday night and found the warmth of a local hotspot that was bursting with pre-game energy.
Admittedly not our first time here, Gate is a patch of life in an otherwise lifeless (but loved) neighborhood. Located smack beside a characteristic old train bridge, and just a jaunt from Florenc metro station, the large windows give passers-by a sneak-peek into a true ‘after work´ watering hole.
For an early Monday night, the crowd was already stirring and reservation signs covered many tables. The sprawling hardwood bar and floor-to-ceiling shelving first catches your eye, and then you quickly take in the colorful and trendy modern design. It´s hard not to notice the flashing lights, the plasma televisions playing videos from another decade, or the fish tanks that resemble giant cocktails illuminated with black light. Upstairs is an open, well-ventilated smoking area (seating around 100 people), while downstairs provides more of an intimate, moody, non-smoking area – perfect for a more captive party of 40 or so people, if one were to organize such an event.
Below, we have compiled a list of criteria from which we will base our reviews of any bar, and from this we will give the bar and overall rating out of 5.
· Smoking Policy – Upstairs smoking/downstairs non-smoking;
· Location– Sokolovska 31, close to Florenc metro, bus, trams 24, 8;
· The Crowd – After work trendy professionals; older and younger couples, beautiful people;
· Atmosphere – Lively, upbeat, social, and fun. Colorful design and modern feel;
· Attire – Everything goes, but tends to be business-smart;
· Price Range – Mid-range. Beer 33-52 CZK (.5 liter of Staropramen, Stella, Hoegaarden); Wine 50-66 CZK for a 2 dcl glass; cocktails 99-149 CZK. Great selection of food, average main course 150 CZK;
· Entrance Fees – None. Open until midnight, and 01:00 on weekends;
· Size – 2 floors, seating 120-150 people;
· Music Policy – 80s and 90s music videos – a popular selection;
· Service – quick, responsive and professionally friendly;
· Restroom Check – clean, well-equipped and modern washrooms;
· Why Would You Go – Great spot for a meet up with friends for drinks or a bite to eat, with a good selection of cocktails and food; ideal for a date, but not necessarily a child-friendly place;
Overall, Gate Restaurant & Bar is a fantastic place to visit after work with colleagues, if you´re looking for a place with vibrancy, good food and drink, and a comfortable atmosphere. It has a trendy upscale feel, but is not expensive or snobby in any way, making it quite accessible for most people. We will definitely be back!
Gate Restaurant & Bar
Sokolovska 31, Karlin, Prague 8
View Expats.cz Bar Reviews in a larger map