Prague, March 29 (CTK) – Another three people with COVID-19 have died in the Czech Republic, the total number of fatalities reaching 16 today, and 2,775 confirmed novel coronavirus cases were in the country tonight, 118 more than on Saturday, the Health Ministry has announced on its website.
More than 40,700 coronavirus tests have been carried out in the country since the beginning of the epidemic.
Eleven patients have fully recovered from COVID-19 so far.
The Karlovy Vary Region, west Bohemia, reported its first coronavirus death today, an 82-year-old man who suffered from another chronic disease as well.
A woman, born 1940, from a senior home in Prague-Michle, who was infected with the new coronavirus, died in Prague’s General Teaching Hospital today. She suffered from cancer and COVID-19 was not the cause of death, the hospital said.
Moreover, an elderly woman with COVID-19, born 1943, from the senior home with a high coronavirus incidence in Brevnice near Havlickuv Brod, east Bohemia died today, the local hospital spokeswoman told CTK, adding that the woman had also other serious chronic illnesses.
Out of the all Czech regions, Prague still has the far highest number of the confirmed coronavirus cases, 696 in total tonight, nine people with COVID-19 have died in the capital and three have recovered.
The Czech Republic reported the first three COVID-19 patients on March 1.
The so far highest daily increase by 373 was on Friday. On Saturday, it was 262.
Health Minister Adam Vojtech (for ANO) said in an interview with public Czech TV on Saturday that the development of the number of the coronavirus infected patients in the Czech Republic was not favourable. “A critical phase of the epidemic has start, we will see what it brings to us,” he added. The situation can only be assessed in the days to come, he admitted.
If possible, the government plans to lift part of the restrictions, which have paralysed the everyday life and the economy in the country since mid-March, after the Easter, ending on April 13.