Prague, July 28 (CTK) – The coronavirus pandemic affected the second half of the previous school year in the Czech Republic, causing schools to be closed nationwide from March 11.
After two months schools began to gradually reopen to a limited extent. Until the end of the school year, however, attendance was voluntary and students could learn from home. Now the Czech Education Minister has told journalists that schools will be in session once again come September.
But while the new school year will begin with the standard operation for all pupils from September 1, stricter sanitary rules will be observed in the classroom, Czech Education Minister Robert Plaga (ANO) said in a press briefing after speaking with Health Minister Adam Vojtech (for ANO) today.
The measures against the coronavirus will be governed regionally based on the “traffic light” which was presented on Monday by the Minister of Health Adam Vojtěch (for ANO), Plaga said.
Despite the fact that he had previously suggested alternating attendance days and other social distancing measures, Plaga said that all pupils will be admitted into the schools and that classes will not be divided.
Plaga added that schools must be prepared for increased hygiene measures to a similar extent as they were before the summer holidays.
“This means increased hand disinfection. It turns out that it is very important to regularly ventilate the premises, which should take place even more often,” he said, adding that the manuals for proper hygiene procedures would be given to school principals well in advance.
The story is currently developing.