One of the most popular vegetarian restaurant resources online, Happycow.net has been providing listings for vegan, vegetarian, and vegetarian-friendly restaurants across the world for the past 15+ years.
Their annual list of the ten most vegan-friendly cities worldwide is determined by three factors: the number of vegan restaurants in a 5-mile radius in the most vegan restaurant-dense area in each city, the number of vegan/vegetarian/veg-option restaurants in the same 5-mile radius, and over-all “vegan-friendliness of the city.”
The Czech capital has once again been named among the world’s most vegan-friendly cities joining the ranks of London, (#1), Berlin (#2), and New York (#3).
Ranking at #9 the site calls Prague a herbivore heaven:
“With a population of only 1.26 million people, Prague comes up in the top 5 of most vegan restaurants per capita in the world.”
The list also points out that Prague’s vegan scene is rapidly growing with a number of dynamic new vegan restaurants popping up in Prague over the past couple of years encompassing everything from a vegan donut shop to a socially conscious vegan cafe that employees disadvantaged workers, name-checking a number of local eateries.
- Bistro Střecha (roof in English) for delicious and inexpensive vegan cuisine, which employs former prisoners, and the homeless.
- Chlebíček a Prague 8 shop and bistro where you can buy and eat vegan versions of typical Czech open sandwiches.
- Forrest Bistro a new venue in Vinohrady which offers a fantastic fusion of many world cuisines and great coffee.
- Waipawa Letná offering great vegan burgers and Czech classic meals like fried cheese or svíčková (another great vegan burger place is Pastva).
- Moment one of the early vegan restaurants in Prague best known for their tasty brunch, featuring scrambled tofu, bagels, shawarma, and quesadillas.
- Amitabha a reasonably-priced self-serve Thai buffet.
- Veganland’s three locations which offer excellent Asian-style pay-by-weight buffets.
- Blue Vegan Pig Shop offers delicious American style donuts which are very popular in Prague.
- bistRAWveg for raw vegan gourmet cuisine, in three locations.
The Happy Cow roundup concludes that “Due to the vast number of vegan choices and the density of vegan restaurants in this small city, Prague is a superb choice for vegan travel.”
See the full top-10 list of cities here.