Focus Clinic, a laser eye surgery clinic in the United Kingdom, has released a list of the 20 most popular winter travel destinations across the world based on how many times a city’s hashtag was used on the photo-sharing app.
“Searching for the term ‘amazing winter destinations’ revealed a number of seed lists from which we selected the following, which shows popular winter travel destinations across the world. The sights from these lists were searched for on Instagram which revealed the number of times the hashtag was used worldwide, which allowed the hashtags to be ranked from the most popular to the least. Thus revealing The World’s Most Popular Winter Sights According to Instagram,” said the clinic of its methodology.
From snowy mountain tops to frosty national parks the must-see winter sights from around the world include Bern, Switzerland, Aspen, Colorado in the U.S., and the Northern lights of Tromsø, Norway (#1-3, respectively).
The South Bohemian town of Český Krumlov, famed for its UNESCO-listed castle complex and gardens, came in at #9. Photos of the town with “Cesky Krumlov” hashtag were uploaded 179,914 times on Instagram (the most accurate number, as of today, is 186,410 times).
Looking for travel inspiration? A number of the most appealing winter views named on the list are Europe-based.
Here is the top 10 in full, see the original interactive map here:
- Bern, Switzerland. #Bern, used 1,082,440 times
- Aspen, Colorado, U.S. #Aspen, used 935,040 times
- Northern Lights, Tromsø, Norway. #NorthernLights,used 768,516 times
- Chamonix, France. #Chamonix used 611,675 times
- Yosemite National Park, California, U.S. #YosemiteNationalPark used 596,214 times
- Zermatt, Switzerland. #Zermatt used 400,215 times
- Yellowstone National Park, Wyoming, U.S. #YellowstoneNationalPark used 314,870 times
- Bled, Slovenia. #Bled used 306,285 times
- Cesky Krumlov, Czech Republic. #CeskyKrumlov used 179,914 times
- Grindelwald, Switzerland. #Grindelwald used 149,836 times
If you do visit this winter, see our tips for what to see and where to go.