There’s plenty going on in the month of August. The sun is heating up and so are this month’s events! Feel free to add your own events to the comments section below and to our ever-growing events section!
2.-5. Sázavafest 2012: The multi cultural, multi-genre festival taking place in Benešov (Close to Prague). Performances from world class DJ Paul Oakenfold, Kaiser Chiefs, Fun Lovin‘ Criminals and Skindred.
4. Elena Sonenshine & Jocose Jazz: Smooth jazz vibes on the trendy riverside venue. Czech vocalist Elena Sonenshine performs at the Jazz Dock, the perfect location for a summer evening!
5. Nite Jewel: Electro pop indie and singer/songwriter Ramona Gonzalez from LA comes to Prague.
7. The Roots: the band fronted by the ever-vocal & charismatic Black Thought will be playing a number of hits from their 12 studio albums their most recent release, Undun.
9-11. Open Air Festival 2012. CZ’s Open Air Festival offer their fans and visitors varied activities throughout the three-day of the event. Performances this year from: Fatboy Slim, Gorillaz Sound System, Booka Shade, Amy Macdonald & many more!
9. Cornell Campbell & Half Pint: Campbell is considered one of the sweetest falsettos in Jamaica! Make sure you’re at LMB to hear for yourself!
15. Foo Fighters: Seattle legends visit Prague to play hits from their seven studio albums!
15. Afghan Whigs: American rock band from Cincinnati, Ohio, originally active from 1986 to 2001. Reformed and rocking in Prague!
16-18. Hip Hop Kemp Festival: Hradec Králové ‘s festival park hosts the Hip Hop event of the year! Main stage performances from Yassin Bey (Mos Def), Fool’s Gold’s Danny Brown, and the amazingly funky DâM-FunK.
22. BUSH: Alternative rock band formed in London had a short hiatus, but have sounded better than ever since their return. Catch them in Prague! BUSH – Baby Come Home
27. Red Hot Chili Peppers: No intro needed for these guys! Expect a lively stage show and plenty of good tracks!
31. Beatsteaks: The German Punk Rascals play Prague’s Meet Factory!
Until 20. MEMBRA DISJECTA FOR JOHN CAGE: An international group exhibition featuring works about the American composer by more than sixty artists.
Until 31. ČESTMÍR SUŠKA: DOX presents an exhibition of a Czech sculptor Čestmír Suška called Outside/Inside. The Outside part of the exhibition will be installed in the courtyard and on the sculpture terrace from until August 31.
Until 13. The Perfect World: An exhibition which explores the pros & cons of living in a world ruled by advertising.
Until Sept. 1. Alfons Mucha: Slav Epic: After an 84 year-absence from Prague, the Slav Epic by Czech Art Nouveau artist Alfons Mucha (1860-1939) was put on display in the Great Room of Veletržní palác .
Karel Nepraš – A retrospective: The exhibition maps Nepraš’ sculptural and graphic art within the contexts of the time of their origin, and for the first time provides an overall view of his work.
31.-1. To Rome with Love (w English subtitles): Woody Allen’s (half) Italian-language farce sees a pair of English-subtitled screenings at Kino Lucerna!
Daily. Prague Film Summer 2012: Cinemas Světozor and Aero have prepared a special screening for 30 CZK every day in the month of August.
29.8.-2.9. Fresh Film Fest: The 9th annual International Festival of First Features and Student Films will be held in Prague this month. An exciting five-day event.
Food & Drink
Until 5. Czech Fish: The Czech Fish festival, organized by Alakarte.cz, brings seasonal fish specialties to restaurants in Prague, Ostrava, and Pardubice.
13-19. Prague Pride: A 7-day festival that offers a wide variety of cultural events and parties with a LGBT+ focus which will culminate on Saturday, August 18, in a downtown parade. The parade and subsequent concert on the Střelecký ostrov will be completely free to attend for all! Look out for our preview article coming soon!
25. The Vibrant Nine – Etnofest: Take a free sensory ride around the world in Vysočany Park. The sixth annual festival Colourful Nine – Etnofest starts at 14:00 and presents smells, flavours and melodies from four different continents.
Find all events (or add your own) in our What’s On section!