Bohemiae Rosa is a mixed farm, located at an hour distance from Prague in the Czech Republic, which uses organic and sustainable principles and is in process of organic certification. The farm raises many types of animals, fish and honey bees and grows many different vegetables and fruits and only sells directly to the public.
Recently, Bohemiae Rosa became a member of the Czech organization of WWOOF to give volunteer workers the possibility to experience the many aspects of sustainable farming while living in a shared deluxe apartment on the farm itself.
WWOOF is a worldwide network that started in the UK in 1971 and has since become an international movement that is helping people share more sustainable ways of living. In return for volunteer help, WWOOF hosts offer food, accommodation and opportunities to learn about organic lifestyles.
The WWOOF organisations link people who want to volunteer on organic farms or smallholdings with people who are looking for volunteer help. They usually charge a small fee to hosts and volunteers. This fee helps maintain and develop the WWOOF network.
- need a genuine interest in learning about organic growing, country living or ecologically sound lifestyles.
- help their hosts with daily tasks for an agreed number of hours.
- do not pay for their stay.
- grow organically, are in conversion, or use ecologically sound methods on their land.
- provide hands-on experience of organic growing and other learning opportunities where possible.
- provide clean dry accommodation and adequate food for their volunteers.
- do not pay volunteers for their help.
In return for the experience, free lodging and sustainably produced food, volunteers are expected to work on the farm, its restaurant and small hotel for five hours a day, six days a week. Volunteers are welcome to stay anywhere from one to six months, or alternatively, at least one weekend each month.
Because of health and safety regulations, each volunteer needs to hold a valid Czech health certificate, which can be obtained from a regular doctor as well as health and travel insurance. A valid visa is required for those who come from outside the EU. A reasonable command of the English language is not required, but is helpful nevertheless.