The rankings for the 2016 edition of Maurer’s Grand Restaurant Selection guide have been released, with chef Jiří Štift’s Prague Asian fusion restaurant Spices winning top honors. Kristin Hrádek, a game restaurant in the Northern Bohemian town of Děčín, has placed second.
The guide is similar to the American Zagat Survey—independent rankings are compiled using tips from reviewers, or “Gastronauts” in Maurer-speak. Restaurants are judged on food, service, interior, and price.
First published in 1997, this is the twentieth edition of the guide. An English-language app is currently in development. The release of the book coincides with the start of the annual Grand Restaurant Festival next month.
The Absolute Top 10 as chosen by Maurer’s Grand Restaurant Selection:
1. Spices Restaurant and Bar (Prague)
2. Kristin Hrádek (Děčín)
3. Terasa U Zlaté studně (Prague)
4. Radisson Blu Alcron, Restaurant Alcron (Prague)
5. Chateau Mcely, Piano Nobile (Mcely)
6. V Zátiší (Prague)
7. Miura hotel (Čeladná)
8. La Degustation Bohême Bourgeoise (Prague)
9. KOISHI fish & sushi (Brno)
10. Borgo Agnese (Brno – tie)
10. Jičín hotel, U Dělové koule 1866 (Jičín – tie)
See the complete rankings at www.grandrestaurant.cz.