Last year, readers of USA Today voted Prague as the world’s top Christmas destination.
Writing for CNN Travel today, Joe Minihane has ranked the Czech capital’s markets in Old Town and Wenceslas Squares among the 10 best in the world.
In an unnumbered list that also includes famed markets in neighboring cities like Berlin and Vienna, the writer states that “no city lends itself to Christmas better than Prague” and recommends washing down a klobása with some Pilsner before waiting for Old Town’s tree to be lit.
Unlike some of the other inclusions, Minihane also praises Prague markets for remaining open every day, including the Christmas holidays.
Unsurprisingly, most markets in the list come from European locales. Montreal’s Grand Christmas Market is the only non-European market to make the list.
- Gendarmenmarkt, Berlin, Germany
- Strasbourg, France
- Viennese Christmas Market, Vienna, Austria
- Grand Christmas Market, Montreal, Canada
- Old Town Square and Wenceslas Square, Prague, Czech Republic
- Piazza Santa Croce, Florence, Italy
- Krakow, Poland
- Frankfurt Christmas Market, Birmingham, UK
- Tivoli Gardens, Copenhagen, Denmark
- Winter Wonders, Brussels, Belgium