TripAdvisor has revealed its 2018 Travelers’ Choice Awards, ranking the top 25 landmarks in the world.
To arrive at the list, the site uses an algorithm that factors in the quantity and quality of reviews and ratings collected over a 12-month period from TripAdvisor users.
Outranking Paris’s Eiffel Tower, the Tower of London, and the Acropolis in Athens, Prague’s Old Town Square came in at number 11 this year with users lauding its “Fabulous architecture, bars, and atmosphere.”
Others deemed it “Cute, fun, and touristy,” though not all reviews were so favorable. One user deemed the square a “Great place to go to see a million other tourists”; another posted the vastly harsher, “Nothing to see here folks.”
Angkor Wat in Cambodia claims the title of the most awe-inspiring monument in the world.
Old Town Square (Staroměstské náměstí in Czech) encompasses a mix of architectural styles including the Gothic Church of Our Lady before Týn which dates to the 14th century, the medieval astronomical clock, located on the Old Town Hall, the third oldest in the world and the oldest still in operation (currently undergoing repairs), and the Baroque St. Nicholas Church.
Top 25 Landmarks in the World as ranked by TripAdvisor:
1. Angkor Wat, Cambodia
2. Plaza de Espana, Seville, Spain
3. Sheikh Zayed Mosque, Abu Dhabi
4. St. Peter’s Basilica, Vatican City
5. Mezquita Cathedral de Cordoba, Andalusia, Spain
6. Taj Mahal, India
7. Duomo di Milano, Milan
8. Alcatraz Island, San Francisco
9. Golden Gate Bridge, San Francisco
10. Parliament, Budapest
11. Old Town Square, Prague
12. Notre Dame Cathedral, Paris
13. Corcovado Christ the Redeemer, Rio de Janeiro
14. Eiffel Tower, Paris
15. Tower of London, England
16. Acropolis, Athens
17. Temple of the Reclining Buddha, Bangkok
18. Mutianyu Great Wall, China
19. Burj Khalifa, Dubai
20. Sydney Opera House, Australia
21. Santuario Historico de Machu Picchu, Peru
22. El Ateneo Grand Splendid, Buenos Aires
23. Notre-Dame Basilica, Montreal
24. Fushimi Inari-taisha Shrine, Japan
25. Shwedagon Pagoda, Myanmar