Where are the best zoos in the world?
Based on ratings and reviews from millions of users acrossthe globe, leading travel website TripAdvisor released its 2015 Traveler’s Choice awards yesterday, which includes rankings of the Top 25 Zoos in the World.
California’s San Diego Zoo came in at #1, followed by Loro Parque in Puerto de la Cruz, Spain at #2 and Singapore Zoo at #3.
In what might be a mild surprise, Prague Zoo came in next at #4. The city’s zoo is frequently included in lists of the world’s best zoos, but rarely so high; last year, TripAdvisor ranked Prague Zoo at #7.
To come up with the rankings, the website looks at millions of traveller reviews for zoos around the world, and determines rankings by quality and quantity of the reviews. The exact formula for the rankings was not specified.
Here are the top 10 zoos, as ranked by TripAdvisor:
- 1. San Diego Zoo, San Diego, United States
- 2. Loro Parque, Puerto de la Cruz, Spain
- 3. Singapore Zoo, Singapore
- 4. Prague Zoo, Prague, Czech Republic
- 5. Tiergarten Schoenbrunn – Zoo, Vienna, Austria
- 6. Henry Doorly Zoo, Omaha, United States
- 7. Chester Zoo, Chester, United Kingdom
- 8. St. Louis Zoo, Saint Louis, United States
- 9. Zoological Wildlife Foundation, Miami, United States
- 10. ZooParc de Beauval, Saint Aignan, France
In related Traveler’s Choice Awards, Universal Studios’ Islands of Adventure in Orlando, Florida was named the world’s Best Amusement Park, Portugal’s Oceanario de Lisboa was chosen as the world’s Best Aquarium, and Spain’s Siam Park was chosen as the world’s Best Water Park.
Prague Zoo was expectedly pleased with the rankings. While they admit that it will be difficult to move up higher in this particular list, they vow to always try harder to improve.
“I thank everyone who works in Prague Zoo, who supports it and who visits it!” Zoo Director Miroslav Bobek said in a statement posted on the Zoo’s website yesterday.